Friday, March 9, 2012

Into the light she flies [2]

· · ·  Hello, world.


Portland (OR) Daily Photo

     For a long time, I thought my city was very Plain Jane. Too small to be a big city and too big to be a small town, the draw of Portland was the social mix. Compared to truly ethnically diverse cities it's very white-bred and hipster-populated, but there's enough of a cultural cocktail that no minority feels completely alone. There are pockets of cultures all around, and great food, food, food.

     But prettiness? Oh, no. Our tall buildings are short and our short buildings are shabby. No; I had no love of the architecture of my city.

     Then...

     Sometime last year I was taking a bus across the Ross Island Bridge, headed east. I happened to look out over my right - and watched as in seconds the view went from OHSU's industrial area to the deep blue Willamette River to a sea of green, green trees. The sun was just starting to set, all gradients of purple and gold and blue, and not a cloud in the sky. It was absolutely breathtaking, and in that one moment, my previous estimation of the look of the city was shot.

     I'm one of those people who walks like they're on a mission. Headphones on, chin up, shoulders back, and if I happen to be wearing my favourite long, silky, skirt, billows of black fabric flaring dramatically behind me. Get out of my way before I run you over, and no, I would not like to sign your petition for a green something-or-other.

     Ever since The Epiphany on the Bridge, however, I've learned to occasionally - occasionally - stop where I'm walking and look up. Without fail, every time, my eye is caught by something beautiful.


Portland and the Hawthorne Bridge

     The way light glints off of twenty stories of windows. The dichotomy of a steel-and-glass office building next to Corinthian pillars. The random murals all over Southeast Belmont. The quirky clothing shops along Hawthorne. The gorgeous stores and homes around Nob Hill.

     Yes, parts of Portland are messy, dirty, run-down, noisy, cranky, and all of those other bad things you'd think of when picturing a city. It may not be Chicago or New York but it's still the largest city in Oregon, so that much is inevitable. But when I stopped glaring at the nasties down below and started opening my eyes and looking up... man.

     This city is gorgeous.

··· there at the door the inspiration I´ve looked for ···
··· the spirit of the youth appears ···

No comments:

Post a Comment